(1.0 Full-time 37.5 hours/week)
The Delhi Community Health Centre (DCHC) is a community based not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing quality, patient-centered health care for individuals and families residing in Delhi and surrounding communities.
A variety of health care services and providers are available through the Centre. Housed within the Centre, the Delhi Family Health Team (FHT) provides access to family physicians, a nurse practitioner, registered nurses, social worker, mental health workers, pharmacist and mid-wife. A community Walk-In Clinic is offered and, also available, are additional family physicians and specialists who provide care via their private practices.
Supporting individuals who are accessing their primary healthcare through the Centre, in addition to supporting the broader community, a pharmacy, community lab and ultrasound services are available on site, as are a variety of other community services intended to enhance the overall health and wellness of men, women, children and families.
A secondary site can be found in Port Rowan.
In 2018, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC), in collaboration with the Association of Ontario Midwives (AOM), introduced an opportunity for providers to partner in the development of reproductive, pregnancy and newborn care services to better meet the needs of their communities.
Funding was made available for Expanded Midwifery Care Models (EMCMs), to enable community-based midwifery services to be delivered in a wider variety of settings.
The Delhi FHT secured funds to move forward with the hiring of one full-time Midwife, who will provide one-on-one care and group education and support, in a role which is fully integrated within primary care and under medical direction.
An immediate need exists for one 37.5 hour/week Midwife.
The Midwife will work under medical direction of a FHT Family Practitioner and will provide well-woman care and pre-natal and post-partum care, both one-on-one and in group settings, with a focus on disease prevention, health promotion and education. Education and support will include lactation consultation. The Midwife in this role will NOT be responsible for deliveries and there will be no on-call or weekend responsibilities. The Midwife will work a combination of days and evenings, based on patient need(s) and the scheduling of educational and support groups.
- Will provide prenatal and post-partum care for pregnant women and their babies, including women deemed high risk (e.g. women with substance use disorders, teenagers, women without physicians/prior care, etc.), in collaboration with the program physician
- Will provide lactation consultation
- Will conduct screening tests and order investigations (e.g., laboratory and ultrasounds)
- Will offer one-on-one support and education
- Will develop and facilitate educational groups, workshops and presentations
- Will consult and work collaboratively with the program physician, interprofessional primary care team and appropriate community health and social services in addressing identified patient needs
- Will work in collaboration with sub-regional Health Links to ensure integrated care and case management
- Will provide broader well woman care in collaboration with the program physician
- Will actively participate in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the program and act as a liaison with partner/referring agencies
- Reports jointly to the program/physician lead and the Executive Director
- Graduate of a Canadian University Midwifery education program or a qualification equivalent to in in accordance with the College of Midwifes of Ontario
- Active member with the College of Midwives
- Member in good standing with the Association of Ontario Midwives
- Lactation Consultant with an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certificate
- Current HIROC liability insurance certificate or eligible to obtain HIROC liability insurance (cost covered by DFHT)
- Current certification and maintenance of CPR for Health Care Providers and Neonatal Resuscitation certification (NRP)
- A minimum of three years’ experience working as a Midwife
- Demonstrated experience not only in the provision of low-risk, but also complex prenatal and post-partum care for pregnant women and their babies, including experience with an expanded midwifery scope of practice
- Demonstrated experience providing well woman care
- Strong clinical, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience developing educational groups and workshops and facilitating the same
- Experience and skills in motivational interviewing
- Committed to Best Practice in patient-centered care
- Exceptional documentation skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills
- A positive and professional attitude
- Excellent time management skills with an ability to multi-task and effectively set priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as a part of a diverse and interprofessional primary care team
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Experience in new program development and program evaluation an asset
- Experience in and/or familiarity with rural medicine an asset
- Familiarity and comfort working within an EMR system an asset
- Multilingualism (e.g., French, Polish, Hungarian, Low German) an asset
Interested applicants are asked to forward a current resume and cover letter to Kelly Brotz, Clinical Coordinator, at [email protected] by Friday, December 14th, at 4:00pm.
The Delhi Community Health Centre (DCHC) is committed to employment equity, diversity and a supportive environment. The Centre welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code.
The DCHC offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by the DCHC regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.